Sunday, August 16, 2015

A Reread Review: Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon


"Dismantlement Equals Freedom. To understand the nature of a thing, it must be taken apart."


Confession: I have a lot of books on my To Be Read shelves. I have bookcases that are only filled with To Be Read books. And yet, sometimes I can't resist revisiting an old favorite.

Anything by Jennifer McMahon is automatically an old favorite for me.

Dismantled has a fascinating premise. Four people were part of a group in college called The Compassionate Dismantlers, and their purpose was to make themselves and the world free by breaking everything and everyone down. But some of their pranks went too far, and a member died.

This death has reverberations through to the present day. One half of the group is now married with a little girl they conceived during the days of The Compassionate Demantlers. One member has disappeared. And someone they all knew well has committed suicide after receiving a mysterious postcard.

Add in an eerie imaginary friend that may just be real, sightings of a woman who may very well be a ghost, and the mystery of what really happened all those years ago, and you've got a book you won't be able to put down. I had a block of free time yesterday, and despite having read this book before, I curled up with this book for hours until I finished it.

In some of her earlier books, you can see McMahon still attempting to completely nail down her trademark style of supernatural, psychological, and mystery. The ending packs a punch, but seems a little rushed, and a little unbelievable even within the otherworldly atmosphere of the story. But what is amazing about McMahon is that even when she isn't at her absolute best, she is still incredible.

4/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand you! Even though there are tons of unread books on my shelves and in my kindle sometimes I also feel the need to reread some of my favourite novels. Anyway, I haven't read anything by Jennifer McMahon, but the premise of this one is so intriguing! I'll definitely give it a try. Would you say that her style is similar to Stephen King?

    New GFC follower, I'd be glad if you did the same :)
    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much for your kind comments. I've only read a few books by Stephen King, but I would say that Jennifer McMahon's style is similar. McMahon, like King I think, likes to explore what it does to people when things occur in their life that they can't explain and can't always handle. I'm really excited you're going to give Dismantled a try-I look forward to hearing what you think!

      I think I've followed you on GFC correctly-I'm new to all this!-please let me know if I did something wrong.

      :)

      Delete