Monday, September 19, 2016

Review: A Drop of Night



Title: A Drop of Night
Author: Stefan Bachmann
Publication Date: March 15, 2016
Genre: This is one of those books where it's super impossible to give all the genres without spoiling anything. So I'm going to go with Young Adult/Suspense/Horror/Thriller, but know that there is definitely another genre I would put in there (you'll know what I mean if you read the book).
Recommended If You Like: books that are really far out there and take huge risks, something unlike anything you've read before, scary scenes, very creepy villains, flashbacks containing historical fiction with twists, strong female protagonists

The Book:

A group of teenagers have been flown to France, told they have been selected to be among the first to see and help unearth a massive underground palace.

But their true purpose has yet to be revealed, and they find themselves caught up in terrifying circumstances seemingly beyond their control.

What I Liked:

This is a gripping read. I had trouble putting it down when it was time to get off the bus or go to sleep. Bachmann is really good at building tension and suspense.

I loved that the strongest characters were female, both in the flashbacks and during the modern day scenes.

Anything I Didn't Like?

This book is really far out there in terms of the big reveal of what is truly going on. It's not what I had expected, and for me, it was too strange. But that is entirely a personal opinion, and, browsing on other blogs and review sites, this does seem to be a book that splits readers.

So...?

I really appreciate that Bachmann has gone for something really new and different here, and fully committed to it. For me, it was just too much, but others have loved it.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have this one but totally forgot about it so I need to dig it out. :)

    ReplyDelete