Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Reviews: A Study in Charlotte, and Northanger Abbey




Title: A Study in Charlotte
Author: Brittany Cavallaro
Publication Date: March 1, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Mystery
Recommended If You Like: the original Holmes and Watson, creative retellings and continuations, clever young adult mysteries

The Book:

James Watson  has always heard the story about the Holmes family and their connection to his own family, and has always dreamed of meeting his counterpart, Charlotte Holmes. When he gets uprooted from London and sent to the same boarding school she attends, he has his chance--and when a mystery arises mimicking famous Holmes and Watson stories, he just may realize his dreams.

What I Liked:

Sherlock Holmes is my all-time favorite character, Holmes and Watson my all-time favorite literary friendship, so I'm always intrigued by a re-telling or continuation of their story. I loved the idea that their families had continued on, and their great great great grandchildren were meeting to solve a mystery together.

James and Charlotte are great complex characters in their own right, and the formation of their relationship is handled in a really realistic and compelling way. The side characters are great too, from James' father (who has a list of over one hundred things any Watson needs to know about their Holmes), to Charlotte's brother Milo (reminiscent of Mycroft).

The mystery is also excellent. It has a lot of twists and turns, and exciting moments. I really enjoyed the way the book kept nodding to the Holmes and Watson canon with the crimes.

Anything I Didn't Like?

It's so nitpicky of me, but with a book I enjoyed this much there's very little to say I didn't like. I wanted to know more about how Holmes had a child to continue on his lineage, because it seems to run so against type (even if he was married to Mary Russell ;) ). There was one sentence, almost a throwaway, about it, but I feel like it didn't necessarily make sense. I get that it had to happen though to have this story happen at all.

So...?

This is a great book. I always get both excited and nervous about Holmes' reimaginings, because I love the originals so much, but not only has Cavallaro done the canon proud, but put her own unique spin on it. I am really looking forward to the second book in the series!

Read for the Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge 2016




Title: Northanger Abbey
Author: Val McDermid
Publication Date: April 14, 2015
Genre: Literary Fiction/Suspense/Gothic
Recommended If You Like: the original Northanger Abbey, clever new takes on the classic gothic genre

The Book:

This is part of The Austen Project, with contemporary authors re imagining classic Austen novels. 

Cat Morland is a reader, one who has spent her whole life in a small English village. When her neighbors invite her to accompany them on a trip to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Cat jumps on the opportunity. 

While at the Fringe Festival, she befriends two families, the Thorpes and the Tilneys. The Tilneys own Northanger Abbey, the mysterious old home that may be the key to Cat living her book fantasies in real life.

What I Liked:

Northanger Abbey is one of my favorite classics, and I love Gothic tales. I also love Val McDermid from her Tony Hill and Dr. Carol Jordan series, so I was really excited to hear about this book.

McDermid did not disappoint. I loved this modern spin on an already great story. She makes you love the characters you're supposed to love, suspect the characters you're supposed to suspect, and boo the characters you're supposed to boo.

The suspense and tension around the possible secrets of Northanger Abbey itself were also really well-developed.

Anything I Didn't Like?

I wanted them to get to Northanger Abbey sooner ;) I loved all the set up, but was especially excited for when they finally reached their mysterious destination.

So...?

This makes me want to pick up more of The Austen Project books, and re read the original Northanger Abbey. McDermid does a great job of putting her own spin on a great tale.

Read for the Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge 2016










2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed a Study in Charlotte and I think I need to try this Austen Project stuff that could be interesting. I like Northanger Abbey so I am curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of the other books in the Austen Project yet, but I really liked this one :)

      Delete