Sunday, November 27, 2016

Review: Jazz by Toni Morrison




Title: Jazz
Author: Toni Morrison
Publication Date: 1992
Genre: Literary Fiction
Recommended If You Like: Toni Morrison, deep character studies, insightful looks at the world, beautiful use of language

The Book:

In the 1920s, a man named Joe Trace cheats on his wife, Violet, and shoots his lover. Violet then attempts to attack the corpse at the funeral, after releasing her beloved birds into the cold of New York. Morrison takes readers from present to past and back again to tell the stories of her characters, cultural experience, and what love (or lack thereof) can do to a person.

What I Liked:

I love Morrison's books, period. Morrison is an absolutely brilliant writer with an expert command of language. The book is lyrical, flowing, and cuts deep to the core of the human experience.

Anything I Didn't Like?

Nope, this is an amazing book.

So..?

If you haven't read any of Morrison's work, you must. I started with Beloved, but I've loved everything of hers I've read.

Read for Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment