Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich



This is a book full of creativity and creepiness in equal measure. It tells the story of a mysterious fire that happened at a high school two decades ago, an unsolved crime where the main suspect is a girl who doesn't seem to exist. Kaitlyn Johnson is the alter ego of Carly Johnson, and it is her diary that is discovered so many years later among the ruins.

Readers learn about what happened right alongside "the witness", who has collected Kaityln's diary entries, notes between her and Carly, medical files, transcripts of therapy sessions and police interviews, and video clips (described for the readers in great detail), in an attempt to piece together what really happened that night.

I love YA horror/mystery books, and I love books that utilize mixed media (like Night Film, another really creative, really creepy read). The Dead House had me hooked from the first page and never let me go. It kept me guessing, left me reeling, and had me curled up on my couch for hours to find out what happened next. I look forward to seeing more from Dawn Kurtagich!


2 comments:

  1. Great review! This one looks really great. I love horror and ya horror too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was really good :) I'm reading another YA horror now, Welcome to the Dark House, that is really intriguing so far.

      Delete