Saturday, August 13, 2016

Review: The Murder House by James Patterson and David Ellis



Title: The Murder House
Authors: James Patterson and David Ellis
Genre: Thriller
Publication Date: September 28, 2015
Recommended If You Like: houses that might as well be haunted, secrets from the past, repressed memories, characters that may be good or may be bad, twists that keep you on your toes

The Book:

Jenna Murphy is a detective in the Hamptons, having left Manhattan under less than ideal circumstances. Now she has returned to the place where she used to spend her summers with her family, until one year when they never returned.

Number 7 Ocean Drive is a mansion with a murderous past. Now the murders have begun again, conceding with an onset of terrible nightmares that shock Jenna awake every time she falls asleep. Could her repressed memories have some connection to the murders at Ocean Drive?

What I Liked:

This is a suspenseful read! Something is always happening, and twists and turns are always appearing to surprise the reader. This is something that Patterson is truly a master at.

The Murder House is a book that is never boring. I couldn't put it down because I had to know what happened next.

Anything I Didn't Like?

The romance felt forced, and like it came out of nowhere. It also always tends to bug me a little when the main character has what seems like everyone they come into contact with wanting them and falling in love with them.

So...?

I would definitely say to pick this one up. It has its flaws, but this is a book full of suspense that will keep you guessing.

4 comments:

  1. Despite the forced romance, the mystery aspect sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at this the other day, but passed it becuase I've kind of gotten bored with Patterson. He used to be one of my absolute favorites, but then I felt his writing got stale... Maybe this is worth a go after all? Was this your first book of his?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually read a lot of Patterson in the past, but took a break from him myself for a while. This is the first book of his I've read in quite a bit, and I really enjoyed it.

      Delete