Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Reviews: Sadie, and The Shining Girls


Sadie is a book with a lot of hype surrounding it, and it more than earns all that hype. Putting a spin on the true crime podcast, Sadie tells the story of the murder of a younger sister, and the lengths the older sister will go to get revenge on the murderer. Chapters alternate between Sadie's point of view and that of a podcaster, who has found much more of a story then he ever expected. 

This is not an easy read, full of very difficult topics, but it is absolutely a haunting book worth reading. I couldn't put it down, and the last sentence is still with me. 



So I first tried this book a few months ago, read a few pages, and then put it back down. I'm not sure exactly why, whether the gruesomeness and gore was too much for me, or I found the book confusing, but it just didn't seem for me.

However, I had heard so much about this book, and so when I got a copy for free for volunteering at a charity book sale, I put it on my TBR shelf. When it fit a Popsugar Reading Challenge category for this year, I picked it up again.

It's hard to even describe the story, about a serial killer who can travel through time thanks to a mysterious house, who finds girls who "shine" and then tracks them down as women and brutally murders them, but the girl who survived who is now a woman is trying to solve the case of her past. The book is very nonlinear, which makes sense with the plot, but also made it harder for me to understand the plot. 

I'm glad I did give this book another chance. I didn't love this book, but I did like it. The gruesomeness and gore were sometimes too much for me, and I'm still not sure I entirely understood everything, especially some of the end. But I did find myself staying up much later than intended to finish the book, unable to stop turning pages, so clearly the book was doing multiple things right.



No comments:

Post a Comment