Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Reviews: Changeling and The Abominable


This is (at least at this point, I'm hoping for more!) the final book in the Six Stories series. I have been devouring this series, to the point where I had to buy this on Kindle (which I never do-oh, tight budget) when my entire library system and interlibrary loan didn't have a copy. 

This book looks at the mysterious disappearance of a young boy in woods that may be haunted. Wesolowski plays with the reader's mind so well-is the cause supernatural? Is the cause human? And then, like the other two books, everything gets expertly and incredibly turned on its head in the last chapter. This was the first one in the series where I was able to predict any part of the ending, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment. 

This is a series many, many more people need to read. It is brilliant, surprising, clever, and has twists like you literally wouldn't believe. 


Oh, this book. I wanted to love it. I absolutely loved Simmons Drood , a book I recommend to a lot of people as a brilliant example of exceptionally well done slow build unique horror. 

But The Abominable took me forever to get through. I mean, weeks. I kept putting it down, reading a chapter, putting it down again. I kept with it because I had committed to it for a few reading challenges already, and because I had loved the other Simmons' book so much, and because once I was 300 pages in I figured I might as well just go for the last 300 pages.

The main problem for me was that I was looking for the horror and suspense I was promised on the inside flap, and instead I got essentially 500 pages about mountain climbing. And then when things finally picked up, it didn't make a lot of sense, and seemed very out of left field.

Go read Drood for sure, but I wouldn't bother with The Abominable unless you really love mountain climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment