Thursday, January 5, 2017

Review: Black-Eyed Susans




Title: Black-Eyed Susans
Author: Julia Heaberlin
Publication Date: May 31, 2016
Genre: Psychological Suspense/Mystery/Thriller
Recommended If You Like: creepy psychological thrillers, flashbacks, unreliable narrators, mysteries with big twists

The Book:

Tessa Cartwright is the Black-Eyed Susan who survived. Kidnapped by a serial killer, found barely breathing in a mass grave, it was Tessa's testimony that cemented the state's case against the purported murderer.

But as patches of black-eyed susans pop up around her, Tessa is forced to reckon with the thought that she may have doomed an innocent man to the executioner's chair. Forced to do what she has avoided for so many years--examine her memories and drawings that emerged during her therapy sessions--Tessa struggles to discover the truth.

What I Liked:

That twist ending!! This is how a twist ending is done. It took my breath away. The revelations in the last few chapters will leave your mind reeling and have you flipping back to see what you missed.

I also really liked the use of flashbacks and trial transcripts. These techniques built up a lot of suspense as important information was gradually revealed.

Also, Tessa is a strong and complex character you can't help but root for. She has gone through so much, and is so determined to put things right.

Anything I Didn't Like?

It took me a little while to get into this book. I just felt like things were moving a little slowly at first, and thus it was taking me longer to read.

So...?

Read this book! This is one of the best twist endings I have read in a while. Even if you find it a bit slow-going at first like I did, absolutely keep going. This book is definitely worth a read.


2 comments:

  1. Heard a lot of good things about this book, I so want to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete