Tuesday, October 6, 2015

I Was Here by Gayle Forman

 


The day after Meg died, I received this letter.

This is the opening sentence of Gayle Forman's I Was Here, and it is the premise from which the entire novel spins. 

The narrator, Cody, was Meg's best friend, but now Meg is dead. 

Meg committed suicide, and Cody never saw it coming.

I Was Here is the story of Cody's search for the truth, the story of how guilt and grief can bring people together and tear them apart. Cody must figure out who she is without her best friend, and how to go on.

Forman handles a difficult topic with finesse and understanding, and creates a cast of characters the reader can't help but get invested in.

3.5/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I'm not too sure if I should read this one or not. It looks like it had a good plot, but it's gotten a lot of mixed reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books that is a good read, but not a must-read, if that makes sense. I enjoyed it, and it had some powerful things to say, but it wasn't one of those books I would make sure I recommended to everyone.

      Delete