Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Book: In the Shadow of the Mic: Three Decades of Slam Poetry in Pittsburgh

 


Just a note to open here, that I am in fact very proudly related to the fantastic editors of this book!

I have been involved in slam poetry in my hometown in the past, whether as a spectator or an occasional volunteer, so I knew a little bit about the workings behind the slam going into this book. But I truly had no concept of just how much goes into not just hosting a poetry slam, but into creating a safe space and true community.

This book is a community in and of itself, not only expertly explaining how slam poetry truly came about in Pittsburgh, but also containing interviews with important members of the community, as well as many writers opening themselves up through their poetry. This book is a beautifully unique look from the inside into a beautifully unique community.



No comments:

Post a Comment