Sunday, April 29, 2018

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon Roundup!

I always love Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon, and had a great time with it again this year! My total was four books, and the start of a fifth.



Binti by Nnedi Okorafor 

Binti is traveling through the galaxy to reach Oomza University, a highly prestigious school she has been accepted to. But this means leaving her family behind to study with those who do not understand her. It also means coming into the middle of a frightening war, which will require her to call upon all her strengths to survive.

This is not a genre I normally read, but I'm definitely glad my dad and brother recommended this to me. Binti is a wonderfully strong character, and her story is absolutely one worth reading. I look forward to it continuing in the second and third books.



In Private Vegas, various stories intertwine, from two diplomats running amuck with their immunity, to the trial of one of Private's key investigators, to a man training women to marry rich and then kill. I always enjoy the Private series and Patterson's books, and while this wasn't one of the strongest entries (there was just a little too much going on), I still had a good time reading it.



This was a really great book that I'm so glad was published now. Gray draws from an extensive well of amazing women to help inspire all of us to join the fight for good. She provides immediate ways to start helping, as well as important discussions on terminology, privilege, and self-care. This is an important and highly topical read.



This was a creepy, well-done middle grade read. It surrounds three friends who have created an elaborate world of play with their imaginations, but one begins to pull away when his father and teammates tease him. But when a possible ghost enters their lives, the three friends must go on one more quest together.



No comments:

Post a Comment