Thursday, January 11, 2018

Review: The Chalk Man


It's rare that I get to buy a book the day it comes out, but thanks to gift cards from my students, I was able to hit up one of my favorite independent bookstores. 

I thought a long time about what books I wanted to buy. 

And I could not be happier that I picked The Chalk Man. Though it is only January 11, I have already found one of my top books of 2018.

The Chalk Man is absolutely brilliant. Tudor tells the story of Eddie, whose childhood code of chalk men was corrupted when it was used to lead him and his friends to a dismembered body. Now a grown man, his past is brought into his present when he and his friends begin receiving chalk messages again--and when one of them goes missing and is found dead. 

This book absolutely flies by. I read it in about 24 hours, staying up in bed turning pages until I had finished. It's so well-written, the alternating between the 1980's and 2016 used brilliantly to up the tension and suspense. The twists are so good, especially the final twist that made my jaw drop and still has me stunned. 

Get your hands on a copy of this book. I suspect it will be on many favorite lists of 2018.

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for gift cards! I'm so glad you found two awesome books. I'm also dying to read this one. You're making me want to get these books ASAP so bad, but my wallet says nooooo. LOL! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get it, if it weren't for those gift cards, I would have been on the long library waiting list for sure!

      Delete