Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Hidden Gems in Mysteries, Thrillers, and True Crime


As always, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the wonderful The Broke and The Bookish!


This week's topic was hidden gems. I interpreted this as books that don't have as much love as I wish they did, and went with books in my favorite genres to read.


These are the first two books that always come to mind when I think of hidden gems. I love these books so much-they are brilliant thrillers full of unique literary mystery and nail-biting psychological suspense. They are so clever, and so different from other thrillers, and I've re read them so many times. 



With James having a second true crime book coming out, this seems the perfect time to remind people just how good his first true crime book is. It's an incredibly unique and comprehensive look at so many famous and lesser-known crimes. 


I would never have heard of this book if it hadn't been a giveaway at ALA one year, and I'm so glad it was available, because it's so good. It's another really unique read, the true story of the author's friendship in college with someone who later becomes a murderer. 


This is one of my favorite true crime series. There are multiple editions, and it collects what the editing panel considers the best articles and essays about crime from the given year. You're able to read such a great variety, and hit the highlights of that year in true crime writing.


This series is a joy for mystery lovers. Each book is centered around a different famous mystery author, and you get lots of background information on the author and their works while enjoying a fun mystery and strong lead character.


This is a really fun middle-grade mystery with a great female lead detective, and fun illustrations.


A quirky famous detective and his determined ward investigate mysterious crimes that no one else can solve.


To me, this is one of the most fascinating cases of mysterious unsolved death ever recorded, and this book posits a really interesting and well-researched theory.


This book posits a fascinating and captivating theory about one of the most famous psychological cases ever recorded, and suggests that those in charge may have perpetrated a truly tragic crime against a fellow human being.



6 comments:

  1. I read Mangle Street and really enjoyed it but never went back to read the 2nd book. I need to fix that. I'm adding your first 3 to my TBR as well as Visiting Hours. This is one of my favorite genres as well and the only book I've read is the Kandel so you've given me lots of new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I really need to add Visiting Hours and Sybil exposed to my TBR. I have read Obedience by Will Lavender, but I really want to read Dominance too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating list! Sybil Exposed looks intriguing!

    Here is our TTT

    ReplyDelete