Friday, January 29, 2016

Five Friday: Five Recommended Books That Start With "E"

This is Part 5 of my ongoing Alphabet Series. Once again, I've tried to pick books that might not be as well known, or that I haven't talked about on this blog very much if at all.


1) Elephants on Acid and Other Bizarre Experiments by Alex Boese

After reading this book, I immediately went back to the library and took out every other book Boese had written. He covers unique, fascinating nonfiction topics (including his work on historical hoaxes) and is a great writer to boot.


2. The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

Everything Abbott writes is brilliant, and this is no exception. She is especially adept at writing psychological thrillers that also explore the deep, complex bonds between female friends.


3. Extracurricular Activities by Maggie Barbieri

The Murder 101 books make up a really fun cozy mystery series. As a teacher myself, the fact that the protagonist is a teacher is a bonus.


4. The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Carter

This is one of those books that I immediately recommended to others as soon as I finished it. Carter expertly weaves together deep discussions about race, class, and familial ties, all while spinning together a gripping mystery.


5. The Empty Glass by J.I. Baker

This is a fictionalized take on the possible conspiracy surrounding Marilyn Monroe's death, and a book that will leave you thinking about it long after you've closed the cover.






No comments:

Post a Comment