Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Frightful Fall Reads: Old-School Classics

In the weeks leading up to Halloween, I thought it would be fun to recommend some of my favorite scary stories to read, and why I find them creepy. Today features some old-school classics.




1. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (1898)

  • Ghosts
  • Creepy children
  • Practically deserted large old house in the middle of nowhere
  • Unreliable narrator
  • Psychological uncertainty



2-3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (1818); Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)
  • Two of the creepiest, most iconic monsters in literary history
  • Murder and mayhem
  • Lots of lurking in the shadows
  • Psychological fear
  • Being stitched from the dead/rising from the dead
  • Preying on innocents


4. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1890)
  • Supernatural forces
  • Twisted immortality with a price
  • Creepy inanimate object


5. The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe (1843)
  • Murder and mayhem
  • A haunting you can't escape from-not even in your own home
  • The past never truly being behind you
  • Psychological torture


6. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1902)
  • Mysterious, eerie setting
  • Isolated old house
  • Supernatural possibilities
  • Murder and mayhem
  • The potential of a long-reaching curse
  • Evil doings from the past
  • Possible monstrous creature
  • Overhanging threat of evil




4 comments:

  1. Looks like we had a similar idea..I have read and enjoyed all of these oldies Becca :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are actually the one who inspired me to blog some fall reading posts of my own-I loved your five books to read for fall!

      Exactly, these books are so good! I'm going to try to post a different theme for creepy fall reads as much as I can this month.

      Delete
  2. I've been eyeing my copy of Dracula as of late! 'Tis the season, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dracula is the perfect book for this time of year!

      Delete