Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Review: Death at High Tide

 



Evie, recently and suddenly widowed, is already struggling when she finds out she may now be in dire financial straits. Her sister, Margot, attempts to help by booking them a weekend trip to Tregarrick Rock, a remote and isolated isle containing a hotel that Evie may have just inherited.

But when they arrive, nothing is what they hoped for or expected. Almost everyone on Tregarrick with them seems mean-spirited and secretive, and claim that there is no possible way Evie owns the hotel. Margot and Evie are already desperate to leave when murders start occurring, and between the tide and the police, no one is going anywhere.

This book was definitely darker than I was expecting. I went into it thinking I would be reading more of a cozy mystery, and instead got tragic and frightening backstories, and a lot of unpleasant characters. I love a good dark psychological mystery, and I've loved some in the past where I didn't like a single character (see recent review of Little Cruelties). 

But I didn't love this book. It wasn't a bad read, it kept my interest, but almost all of the characters were purposefully irritating, mean, cruel, or even actively obsessively stalking another character. They rubbed me the wrong way so much it took away from the story. I also was able to call a lot of the bigger twists (though not all) long before they were revealed.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving this book a try. Other readers might really like it. It just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment