Monday, January 23, 2017

Reviews: Second Life, and Tales for a Winter's Night



Title: Second Life
Author: SJ Watson
Publication Date: June 9, 2015
Genre: Mystery/Psychological Suspense/Thriller
Recommended If You Like: twists and turns, mysteries involving the internet

The Book:

When Julia's sister is murdered, Julia knows she must find out why, and by who, or it will consume her. Joining the online site her sister had used to meet strangers, Julia finds herself drawn in, and unable to find her way out.

What I Liked:

This book has a lot of twists and turns, which I always appreciate. There's a lot of layers to characters, and so many people are more than they first appear.

Anything I Didn't Like?

This book felt predictable in a lot of places, unfortunately. I called one of the biggest twists chapters before it actually happened.

The book also felt pretty slow at times, and then the ending seemed rushed, like Watson wanted to fit in more revelations.

So...?

I loved Before I Go to Sleep. It's one of those books I own my own copy of, have re read, and have recommended to friends. But Second Life just wasn't as good--it was one of those books that is just okay, which coming from an author I've previously loved, was definitely a disappointment.



This was such a treat! I love Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes' stories, and it was a lot of fun to get to read some of his other mysteries. These short stories have a similar flare to the Holmes' stories, with tricky cases that seem to have no solution, until Doyle spins one. I definitely recommend this one for mystery and Holmes lovers alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment