Wednesday, July 26, 2023

ARC Reviews: One of the Boys, A Questionable Character

 I received ARCs of these books from the publishers in exchange for honest reviews. This did not affect my opinions of the books or my reviews themselves. 

One of the Boys by Jayne Cowie

This book posits a future where boys can be tested for an M gene, which the majority believes predicts if a boy will be violent or not. M negative boys have privileges that M positive boys do not, and are viewed very differently.

Into this world, sisters Antonia and Bea give birth to boys. Antonia’s son tests negative, while Bea refuses to test her son. This means Antonia’s son lives a much more comfortable life than Bea’s. But there are far reaching consequences neither mother sees coming. 

I have not stopped thinking about this book since I read it. There are so many issues raised: nature versus nurture, what needs to be done to protect women, divisions within society…This book is also so well written. I would definitely recommend this book.


A Questionable Character by Lorna Barrett

In a town affectionately known as Booktown, Tricia runs a mystery bookstore-and solves murders when the police can’t. This time a construction worker is found dead by Tricia and her sister. 

I loved the setting of this story, but not the story itself. I think it’s because I didn’t really love the characters. Even the romance felt off. This book just wasn’t for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment