Sunday, June 25, 2023

ARC Reviews: Speak of the Devil, and The Puzzle Master

 I received ARCs of these books from the publishers in exchange for honest reviews. This did not affect my opinions of the books or my reviews themselves.


Speak of the Devil by Rose Wilding

The book opens with seven women, each with a motive for murder, sitting around a man’s severed head. The man was a terrible human being, and while it seems each of them could have killed him, one of them truly did.

This book definitely opens with a really powerful moment that draws the reader right in. The women are fascinating figures in their own right, let alone their complicated and heartbreaking connections with the murdered man. (I must admit that there were so many characters I had a hard time keeping them straight at first.) Wilding deftly explores the horrors that can be perpetrated against women, and what recourse women actually have. 

This was a gripping read that really made me want to find out what truly happened. Even if you start a little confused, stick with it, it’s a good book.


The Puzzle Master by Danielle Trussoni

I’m not entirely sure how to describe this book. A man suffers a traumatic head injury that allows him to create and solve any puzzle. He is asked to come to a prison to talk to a convicted murderess who has refused to communicate in any form with any one else. While there, he gets drawn into an incredibly complex puzzle that could change the very fate of humanity. 

This was an okay read for me. It’s an interesting concept, but got way too confusing for me. It also felt like the romance was kind of strangely forced. This isn’t a bad book, it just wasn’t a book for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment