Monday, May 28, 2018

Review: Bad Girls Don't Die



This is one of those books that seems to have a lot of potential, but ends up disappointing. Alexis, the protagonist, has noticed her younger sister, Kasey, is acting stranger than usual. This leads to scary confrontations, intense research, and a lot of changes in Alexis' life.

One of the main issues I had with this book is how annoying I found Kasey, before, during, and after the "event" that the back of the book pretty clearly alludes to. I know I was supposed to have sympathized with her, but since she annoyed me from the very first pages of the story, I just couldn't.

Also, I've read a lot of books with similar themes, and they were better written, and better plotted. This book felt pretty juvenile, which a middle grade/young adult novel certainly does not need to be.

There were some parts that had potential, namely in the relationships Alexis forms outside of the ones with her family. But the story itself just wasn't good enough. The ending especially, given the many, many pages of plotting that had gone on beforehand, just seemed way too pat.

I was honestly very surprised to find out this book is the first in a trilogy. To me, it wasn't strong enough for one book, let alone three.

No comments:

Post a Comment