Saturday, April 1, 2017

Review: This House is Haunted




Title: This House is Haunted
Author: John Boyne
Publication Date: October 8, 2013
Genre: Gothic Horror/Psychological/Ghost Story
Recommended If You Like: Dickens-esque prose, ghost stories, strong female protagonists, The Turn of the Screw 

The Book: 

Eliza Caine has just lost her father, and mired in grief, answers an advertisement for a governess. But even before her arrival, strange and dangerous things begin to happen to her, occurrences that only get worse once she makes it to Gaudlin Hall.

What I Liked:

This is a well-written scary story. The eeriness builds subtly at first, then crescendos. I love a good, gothic ghost story, especially one that reminds me of The Turn of the Screw, and this book checks all those boxes.

Eliza Caine is also a very strong female character who you can't help but root for. She makes for a compelling, complex narrator.

Anything I Didn't Like?

The story started out slow, and took a while to get going. I know this was to build suspense, but the story didn't really get very interesting until Eliza arrived at Gaudlin Hall.

So...?

If you like gothic horror and ghost stories, this is a book I would recommend. It's not one I imagine I will be re reading, but I did enjoy reading it.




2 comments: