Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Scary Stories


As always, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the wonderful The Broke and The Bookish.

This week's theme is a Halloween freebie, so I decided to go with my Top Ten Scary Stories!

1. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie


What makes it scary:

A group of people are trapped on an isolated island with a killer.

2) Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane


What makes it scary: 

A man is trapped on an isolated island (notice a trend here? ;) ) that houses an insane asylum, and a patient has escaped.

3) Turn of the Screw by Henry James


What makes it scary:

A governess on an isolated estate with two children who are being haunted by ghosts--or is she being haunted by the ghosts in her head?

4) Night Film by Marisha Pessl




What makes it scary:

A reporter is investigating a legendary horror movie director who may have taken his movies too far into real life.

5) The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


What makes it scary:

A gigantic hound may be haunting the mysterious moors, and killing people.

6) Dominance by Will Lavender


What makes it scary:

A class is being taught by a convicted murderer, a woman is missing, and a mysterious author may hold all the creepy clues.

7) The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon


What makes it scary:

The past collides with the present in an old, abandoned motel.

8) The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson


What makes it scary:

People have willingly trapped themselves in a haunted house, and it might just drive them mad. 

9) The Woman in Black by Susan Hill


What makes it scary:

This is a ghost story about a haunted house, and a truly terrifying spirit.

10) The Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver


What makes it scary:

There's a diabolical madman on the loose--and he could be coming for you.

What are some of your favorite scary stories?



12 comments:

  1. I've read a few of your books this week - I must check out The Night Sister.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of Jennifer McMahon's books are really good!

      Delete
  2. Yesssssss! Baskervilles is on my list too. The Turn of the Screw is the only other book here I've read, but I LOVE your blog title! May I assume you've read The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I have read that, my blog title is an homage to that title-Sherlock Holmes is my all-time favorite literary character (my dog is named Sherlock :) ). :)

      Delete
    2. I figured it couldn't be a coincidence when I saw your bio said you're a Sherlock fan :-)

      I once had a cat named Sherlock, and my current laptop is named that too. He's one of my 5 absolute favorite fictional characters of all time <3

      Delete
  3. I just finished And Then There Were None and I absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! It's in my top 3 of favorite books ever.

      Delete
  4. Shutter Island is *so* scary. I read the book before the movie, and when the twist happened I had to set the book down I was so shocked. I love Lehane's books! He is so amazing.

    My TTT: http://girlaboutlibrary.blogspot.com/2016/10/five-haunting-books-you-should-read-top.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree about the book, the twist, and the movie--so good!!

      Delete
  5. Oo so many good ones!! I still need to read The Bone Collector, The Night Sister, Dominance, and Night Film. All of those sound fantastic. And SHUTTER ISLAND!! That's such a good one, I loved it. I enjoyed the movie too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those books are so good! Shutter Island is amazing, and I absolutely loved the movie too!

      Delete