Friday, November 6, 2015

Five Friday: Five Good Reads That Start With "A"

(I tried to pick books I hadn't talked about at length on this blog before, which is why books like And Then There Were None aren't in this post.)


1. As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From the Making of The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride is one of my all-time favorite movies, and this trip down memory lane is a true delight. This is one of those books that, as I sometimes say to my students, makes your heart feel happy.


 

2. The Art Detective: Adventures of an Antiques Roadshow Appraiser

Mould discusses not only unique finds, but forgeries, lost art, and mysterious paintings. It's a fascinating read.


3. Asylum by Madeleine Roux

This is a super creepy YA book that is the start to a trilogy. I haven't read the other two yet, but definitely want to.

 

4. After Her by Joyce Maynard

This book draws its inspiration from a real crime spree, and is a haunting and expertly plotted mystery wrapped up in a coming of age tale.


5. American Lightning: Terror, Mystery, The Birth of Hollywood, and the Crime of the Century by Howard Blum

I am a big fan of Blum's true crime books. In American Lightning, he weaves together a bombing, the American Sherlock Holmes, Hollywood, and the famous Clarence Darrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment