Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Suicide Notes From Beautiful Girls by Lynn Weingarten


I'm not sure how I feel about this book.

What I do know is I didn't love it. But I also didn't hate it, or dislike it really.

I first came across this book at a recent ALA convention. From the description on the inside cover, it sounded right up my mystery-loving alley. A mysterious death, secrets from the past, a narrator who maybe isn't telling the readers everything they know...I have read and loved many creative takes on these themes.

The first half of Suicide Notes From Beautiful Girls is that really gripping, mysterious read. I didn't want to put the book down. I had to find out what happened.

And then...I did. It was definitely a twist, and a really interesting one. But then it was like Weingarten didn't know where to go from there. The book became a strange mashup, where it seemed like Weingarten was trying to make some sort of commentary on society at large, but got lost along the way. And with her lost, the mystery got lost too. The ending felt ambiguous for the sake of being "edgy" and came out of left field.

The first half of the book, I would give 4 stars out of 5. For the book as a whole, I give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment