Thursday, July 28, 2022

ARC Reviews: Things We Do in the Dark, and Just Like Home

 I received ARCs of these books from the publisher in exchange for honest reviews. This did not affect my opinions of the books or my reviews themselves.



You would think being found next to your husband's dead body, covered in blood, holding a razor believed to be a murder weapon, would be the worst thing that could happen to you.

But you would be wrong.

Or at least Paris Peralta feels that way.

To her, the worst thing that could happen would be her past being drummed up. And with her now-dead husband a celebrity, it seems inevitable. Especially when a famous murderess, nicknamed the Ice Queen, knows her secret.

This was a gripping read. I'm always into a true crime podcast angle, and having one of the main characters be a creator of one such podcast drew me right in. The characters are very complex in a really compelling way that makes them feel very human and very real. The suspense is high and maintained throughout the whole novel, especially the conclusion. I would recommend this read.



Vera has gone back to her childhood home to take care of her dying mother, who has summoned her back to the very place she kicked her out of. And this is no normal home-this is the home a serial killer built with their bare hands. There are forces at play Vera is just beginning to understand, including an artist who insists he is using the energy of the home as his muse. 

This is not a book for the faint of heart. I actually struggled making my way through it because of some of the gruesomeness, but found it compelling enough to keep going. There were some really shocking moments I never saw coming. However, the ending really let me down. This is a personal reaction, and I cannot speak for others, but the ending just plain did not work for me. I wanted something more, something different, after all the build up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment