Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Review: A Simple Favor

My apologies for being gone from here for over a month-I’ve been dealing with a lot of medical issues, and my wireless in my apartment suddenly decided it no longer liked my computer.

So here goes my first official review in a while, for A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell.

When Stephanie’s best friend Emily disappears, leaving her son and husband behind, Emily is left reeling. As she finds herself immersed more in Emily’s life, Stephanie begins to question everything she thought she knew about her friend and her life.

I was really excited to read this book-to be honest, this was one of those rare instances where I saw the movie trailer and then found out it was a book. The trailer and the book synopsis made this sound like exactly the kind of book I love-secrets, lies, psychological twists and turns, complex and complicated main female characters and friendships...

And I think if I had read this earlier, before I read so many really good psychological thrillers with similar themes, I might have really liked this book. I think it just came too late in the genre for me. While it definitely kept me hooked in the beginning-I really liked the juxtaposition between Stephanie ‘s “mommy blogger” posts and her inner thoughts-the book began to fall into far too familiar territory for me. It didn’t feel original or like it had something different to say in a genre that I absolutely love.

This wasn’t a bad book at all. It was a fine book. It was okay. It just didn’t feel like it added anything new to the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment