Thursday, November 8, 2018

Review: Crippen




The focus of this book is a fictionalized account of the Dr. Crippen murder case. What is known as facts are that Dr. Crippen's wife was murdered, and that Dr. Crippen and his lover Ethel Le Neve tried to get to Canada on a boat posing as a man and his son.

What I love most about this book is that even knowing about the Crippen case, even having read books on it before, Boyne still manages to absolutely surprise and shock me as the plot progresses. I would get so caught up in the story that I would forget what I knew. And because of how little is truly known about the case, Boyne is able to hypothesize and theorize in a brilliantly written way that actually made my mouth drop open at one point and just stand there in public, flipping back pages.

I highly recommend this book, it's so well-written, and does such an impressive job of taking a famous historical crime and still making it feel new.

No comments:

Post a Comment