Friday, October 28, 2016

Review: The Book Club Murders

 


Title: The Book Club Murders
Author: Leslie Nagel
Publication Date: September 27, 2016
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Recommended If You Like: cozies, references to other real mystery books, female protagonists, romance, amateur detectives

The Book:

Charley owns her own vintage clothing store, and has joined the local book club, Agathas, to try to mingle with the town's elite and gain more customers. But, mixed in with the gossip and snobbery, someone is killing people through exact replicas of murder scenes from the book club's selections. 

What I Liked:

I love a mystery that references other mystery books, and this one does a great job of integrating them and making them a central part of the plot.

Charley is a great lead character, very strong and determined, and is highly helpful during the investigation. She also starts a great romance with a police officer.

The supporting characters, especially Charley's love interest and her two best friends, are well-written, unique, and easy to cheer for.

Anything I Didn't Like?

While I loved the main romance, the writing surrounding them occasionally veered on cliched.

Also, with one of the big twists at the end, a clue was a little too obvious. It was one of those that actually made me say "Oh, c'mon!" out loud as I read the sentence containing it.

The ending of two Agatha Christie novels are also spoiled with no warning--luckily I'd already read them, but a warning would be nice for those who haven't.

So...?

This was a fun, quick read, with some great characters I would definitely like to revisit. I look forward to more books in this series.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one, and I guess i didn't spoil anything for myself cause I must not have paid enough attention to the book references since I haven't read any Agatha Christie's but I want too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this one was a lot of fun too, I'm looking forward to reading more in this series! :)

      Delete